Flea Market Fun
"My mama told me, you better shop around (shop, shop)"
- "Shop Around" (1961) Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
I recently attended my first-ever flea market! I walked away with an amazing piece from the DC Big Flea and Antiques Market. There are hundreds of vendors with furniture, antiques, knick knacks and jewelry. I had a blast shopping, but the entire market can feel overwhelming. However, I put together a list of tips to make sure you have fun at the flea market!
1. Have a Plan
Decide on what you want to buy before heading to the flea market. There will be plenty of stuff there, but a list helps you remain focused. Also, decide how much you're willing to spend for the day and I recommend bringing cash. Cash makes the transaction easier and I don't trust everyone with my credit card information.
2. Make Transportation Arrangements
- In most cases, you are responsible for getting your items from the flea market to your home. Even if you don't plan on taking home a large item, it's good to drive a pick-up truck or SUV to the flea market just in case.
3. Take Your Time
- Going to a flea market shouldn't be an in-and-out trip (unless you're on the TV show). Allot for 2-3 hours for shopping. This gives you enough time to check out plenty of vendors and make thoughtful purchases.
4. Be Open-minded
- Searching for a diamond in the rough at a flea market is part of the fun. Not every item on display is going to be perfect. If you see the potential there to transform it into something great, I say go for it. Also, if you're on the fence about a piece, ask the vendor about the history of the item. Sometimes, a little detail could be the motivation to restore a piece back to its old glory.
- Getting the best deal at a flea market is a must, especially if you're trying to stay on budget. Don't hesitate to haggle the price down to something you feel comfortable paying. The vendors expect customers to haggle, so they are not offended. Shoutout to Ms. Avis for giving me a great deal on an amazing piece!
I hope all these tips help. If you have any suggestions you want to add, feel free to comment below.